Federalism and concentration of power
Indian constitution have adopted a federal distribution of power where states are given political power by schedule 7 and financial autonomy via article 270 and others.
Influence of concentration of power
- Only twice over 2/3rd majority was obtained by a single party or coalition, once INC(I) under Rajiv Ghandhi and BJP under Narendra Modi
- Taking these as precedents examples could be plucked out
- One trend is stalling governance in states through the office of Governor, central bureaucracy like E.D.,C.B.I, N.I.A.,etc and delay in disbursal of funds
- Another is rolling out welfare schemes like Indira Gandhi Awas Yojana, PM Sram Yogi Mandhan, PM B.J.P. etc
- Higher expenditure in infrastructure projects
- Also role of Parliament especially Rajya Sabha declined heavily, with less sittings, disruptions, lesser bills scrutinized etc.
Way forward
- Consultation and compromising governance that resist straight jacket-ting motivations
- American model upper house where states are represented more or less equally
Comments
Post a Comment